Lead Software Engineer
Job Title : Lead Software Engineer
Department : Tech
Reports to : Head of Engineering
Technology, Data Science and AI are at the heart of Gousto. The code we write powers every aspect of our business from the recommendation engine powering our e-commerce experience right down to the genetic algorithms used to efficiently route boxes in our warehouse.
We use the latest technologies to create simple and elegant solutions to complex problems. We’re ‘all in’ on AWS using many of its services. Our platform and continuous delivery pipeline is fully automated using Cloudformation & Ansible, we release code to production multiple times a day and we’re in the process of moving our microservices architecture to containers. We build our services in Python, PHP and Node.js with a significant proportion now delivered via AWS Lambda.
To support this growth we are hiring talented and passionate Lead Software Engineers to act as technical leads for our 6 person Squads in the Web Tribe. Our Web Tribe currently consists of two cross-functional squads, growing to 3 squads by the end of 2018. The Lead Software Engineer will provide technical leadership and team mentorship, working closely with our Engineering Manager and Technical Architect for the Web Tribe. The Web Tribe is focussed on maintaining and improving our customer facing website and is predominantly focussed on our business critical metrics of acquisition and retention of customers.
What are we looking for?
- Front End / Back End / Full Stack Lead Engineers - we’re passionate about working as full stack, multi-disciplinary teams
- A passion for delivering quality code which is secure and performant whilst delivering to tight deadlines
- The ability to technically lead full stack teams creating a culture of engineering excellence; passionate about engineering practices such as TDD and pair programming
- Experience of mentoring and coaching all levels of Engineer
- Experience of working collaboratively across product, design, test and business teams, influencing a diverse set of stakeholders
- A lifelong learner; someone who’s constantly striving to improve themselves and others
What you'll be doing day to day
- Work with the Web Tribe Engineering Manager to deliver our roadmap across both functional and technical improvements
- Hands-on coding on a daily basis, pairing with others to help develop your squad
- Ensuring all code owned by your squad meets the agreed quality levels; when deadlines are tight ensuring technical debt is cleared up appropriately
- Constantly seeking out ways to improve our platform and the way we work; ensuring these ways are implemented in your squad and sharing best practice with other squads
- Line management is not required for this role, but can be provided if this is something you are passionate about
We are hugely committed to equality of opportunity in all areas of Gousto. We employ over 20 nationalities and think it's extremely important to have all genders represented in all functions and levels. All individuals will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.
At Gousto we feel it’s massively important to hire adults and give them the freedom to get things done. We don't judge your performance by hours at your desk, but by the impact you have. While our office hours are 9am to 6pm, as long as people attend the morning stand-up for their squads the hours are flexible around this. Our only requirement is that you follow our ownership principles and Put Gousto First. Flexible working is widely practiced, but we are not a remote company and the majority of the time should be based in our Shepherd's Bush office.
- "Tech 10%" - use every other Friday to sharpen your own skills and work on your own projects
- Holidays - 25 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 30 days
- Option to buy additional days of annual leave up to a total of 30 days
- Discounted Gousto boxes - 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes and 25% for your family and friends plus your first box free
- Dr Gousto Healthcare via Babylon Health
- Access to Gousto Academy training courses
- Gym Membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Quarterly team socials and mixed team events
- Coffee/ Tea, fruit and ice cream provided every single day to keep you fresh
- Friday socials - Wine, beer and soft-drinks