We believe home cooking is important. But in today’s busy world, it’s often the first thing to go. With Gousto, you choose recipes you’d like to cook and ta-dah! We deliver the perfectly measured ingredients. Skip the supermarket queue, and create delicious meals to share with those you love.
Technology, Data Science and AI are at the heart of Gousto. The code we write powers every aspect of our business from the recommendation engine powering our e-commerce experience right down to the genetic algorithms used to efficiently route boxes in our warehouse.
We use the latest technologies to create simple and elegant solutions to complex problems. We’re ‘all in’ on AWS using many of its services. Our platform and continuous delivery pipeline is fully automated using Cloudformation & Ansible, we release code to production multiple times a day and we’re in the process of moving our microservices architecture to containers. We build our services in Python, PHP and Node.js with a significant proportion now delivered via AWS Lambda.
Join us and let’s dream big and deliver bigger.
Who you are
As a member of the data-science team you will be using advanced machine-learning and optimisation techniques to build tools that will improve the business and make our service highly personalised. Problems we pursue are diverse and have a direct impact on the business. They range from optimising flows in our warehouse to algorithmically designing recipe menus based on customers' taste etc. We believe that if you build something, you should run it too. This means our data scientists take ownership over the entire process from ideation to deployment and maintenance. Knowing our data products inside-out allows us to keep learning and improving. Ask us about the most recent projects we have been working on, we are always happy to discuss the details in-person.
We have big plans for the future, hence we are looking for creative thinkers with expertise in machine learning to help us drive the business and disrupt the online grocery market by leveraging the data. You will work with amazing colleagues and brainstorm new ideas to solve challenging problems that will have significant impact on the product and our customers.Most of all, you are excited about what we do at Gousto and really enjoy working with the team.
- Translating unstructured business problems into ML or optimisation frameworks
- Implementing Deep Learning (RNN) algorithms to leverage granular sequential customer and operational data
- Leveraging machine learning for forecasting and scheduling
- Multi-objective optimisation of processes (using Evolutionary algorithms etc.)
- Implementing novel metrics to evaluate existing data products ML models
- Building out workflows to automate execution of our data products
- Processing, cleansing and verifying the integrity of data
- Collaborating with our wider Tech team to productionise ML algorithms
- Helping our Analytics Team to conduct advanced analyses
- MSc or PhD in Machine Learning, Math, Stats, Computer Science or equivalent
- Commercial experience or a strong track of working on relevant side projects
- Excellent understanding of machine learning techniques and optimisation algorithms
- Good scripting and programming skills
- Experience in Python (pandas, sci-kit learn, etc.) or R
- Proficiency in using query language (SQL)
- Great communication skills – being able to explain complex model to all types of business partners
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for data, attention to detail, and a positive attitude
Bonus Points For
- Experience in Deep Learning (RNN)
- Experience in recommendation systems
- Experience in deploying machine learning algorithms into production environments (AWS)
- Experience with Airflow
- Experience in Bayesian inference
- Exposure to operational environments (manufacturing, logistics, etc.)
You’re a confident self-starter, able to juggle multiple projects in a dynamic, exciting and entrepreneurial environment. You like to take initiative and demonstrate a hawk-eyed approach to problem solving. You’ll consistently go the extra mile to apply and achieve a high standard across everything you do.
DREAM- Today’s good is tomorrow’s mediocre. We’re always looking for ways to improve Gousto, our team and ourselves.
DELIVER- We understand where we can add the most value and obsess about making improvements every day.
CARE - We can only achieve big things by working collaboratively. We respect different people’s skills, experience and points of view. We work as one team.
- Holidays - 25 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 30 days
- Option to buy additional days of annual leave up to a total of 30 days
- Discounted Gousto boxes - 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes and 25% for your family and friends
- Dr Gousto Healthcare via Babylon Health
- Access to Gousto Academy training courses
- Coffee/ Tea, fruit and ice cream provided every single day to keep you fresh
- Friday social - Wine, beer and soft-drinks
- As many new recipes to test cook as you can handle
- Gym Membership
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Quarterly team socials and mixed team events
Equal opportunity is hugely important to us, across all areas of Gousto. Currently in our team there are over 20 nationalities and it’s deeply important to us to have all genders represented in all functions and levels. We treat all individuals in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.