Head of Agile Coaching
Founded in 2012 by Timo Boldt, Gousto is on a mission to change the way that people cook. We believe home cooking is important, so we’ve made it simple. We take the hassle out of planning, shopping and cooking, by delivering weekly meals with precisely measured ingredients and easy-to-follow recipes, so there’s no more ‘what’s for dinner’ panic.
As one of the most dynamic and fast-growing start-ups in the UK, Gousto currently leads the category offering more choice, more delivery options and lower lead times than any of its competitors. This is really only the beginning though, we have big plans to transform our proposition in 2020 and beyond.
Over 1 billion meals are consumed each week in the UK, and 75% of Brits cook daily.
The UK is a tremendous market opportunity for online food, with an ongoing shift in purchasing habits from offline to online. The grocery market is worth £200bn: if just 1% was delivered through recipe boxes this would give a massive £2bn opportunity in our space. Our proposition also benefits from a number of continued macro trends, including a focus on health, sustainability and convenience.
2 thirds of the UK population has not yet heard of recipe boxes and c.10% have heard of Gousto highlighting massive opportunity for growth (despite Gousto already being in the top 0.1% of the largest UK businesses as measured by total revenue).
The industry has not yet scaled beyond “food in a box”, meaning businesses are not defendable and customer churn high with no strong brands. After a further £30M investment we are ideally positioned to step into this space with Technology at our heart.
The founder and CEO, Timo, continues to have deep involvement in the day to day running of the business and works very closely with his leadership team, comprised of Sally Matthews - CPO (ex Tesco, Unilever), Charles Whitehead - VPO (Tesco), Shaun Pearce - CTO (Amazon Web Services, Accenture), Tom Wallis - CMO (Sky, Accenture).
The business is also represented by a very strong Board, including amongst others Simon Calver (ex CEO Lovefilm, Mothercare), Mark Evans (Balderton Capital) and Ian West (ex MD Sky Digital).
With nearly 500 people across our business, the company is in a period of rapid growth - this is particularly true in the Technology team. Technology will be about 90 people at the end of this year with plans (and funding) to be over 220 by 2022. Technology is a team with a strong culture of continuous improvement, collaborative ways of working and a sense of ownership of the product and platform at all levels.
The entire team at Gousto is enormously driven - We want to win this market. The environment, underpinned by our ownership principles, is highly dynamic, so everyone has measurable impact and can make a real difference.
As Head of Agile Coaching you will be responsible for providing the strategic direction for agile adoption across Gousto. You will build, lead and line manage an agile function to execute the strategy. Technology is our highest growth function, so you will also work closely with Tech leadership to support the evolution of our product engineering function, ensuring agility is maintained at scale.
While Tech and Product are the focus of the role, there is plenty of opportunity to introduce agile working across the organisation. Gousto has a keen interest in cross-functional working, and you will work closely with Gousto’s management to define and support the evolution of multi-disciplinary teams that comprise business, operations and technology functions as relevant.
You will support the organisation to increase ROI by leveraging lean practices across all value streams, promoting a data-driven, experimental approach. You will work with management and individual teams to improve velocity by evolving tailored working processes based on lean principles. You will help shape frameworks to communicate and visualise delivery for both teams and stakeholders
Whilst a significant proportion of your time will be dedicated to the strategic evolution of agile working, there will also be a hands-on element providing coaching support for a couple of teams.
Most importantly we’re keen to shape the role around the successful candidate, their strengths and the experience they need to help shape their career. Gousto is passionate about bringing out the best in it’s people and this role as a senior leader in the organisation will be one with autonomy and investment.
What’s it really like to work here?
- We are customer-centric, data driven and outcome focused, using lean principles to work iteratively, experiment and learn fast.
- Technology teams work in cross-functional squads which we are evolving to include business partners. This enables closer integration between technology, food, operations and marketing, enabling greater alignment, collaboration and innovation.
- Our squads have an increasingly high level of autonomy to decide both what outcomes they should pursue and how they will achieve them.
- We believe in being agile rather than committing to a single framework. We have a set of lean and agile principles which we follow, but beyond that squads are empowered and encouraged to tailor their working processes.
- 10% of our time is dedicated to tech innovation and we hold regular brown bags.
- We are committed to being involved in the wider tech community, hosting meetups, speaking at events and sharing learnings via our blog.
What we’re looking for
You are passionate about lean and agile principles without being dogmatic in their application. You take an experimental approach to ways of working, and use data and metrics to measure success.
You start with ‘why’ and you challenge those around you to do likewise. You use systems thinking to gain a deep understanding of problems, and collaborate to deliver effective solutions.
You take a people-first approach and are passionate about creating an environment built around purpose, mastery and autonomy. You believe in developing people and creating an environment in which they are motivated to do great work.
You think strategically about how to drive lean and agile working across the organisation. You think critically about what is not working and challenge the status quo. You’re a proactive self-starter and you take ownership for driving change. You develop and lead initiatives to help the organisation improve.
You are constantly looking to improve yourself and those around you. You actively engage with the wider industry, seeking new practices and techniques to introduce at Gousto. You champion learning and encourage a culture of feedback.
- Strong knowledge of lean working practices and experience of applying them at scale
- A good understanding of lean product development practices and prioritisation techniques and frameworks
- Using data to capture insights and measure the impact of improvements
- Experience of applying lean and agile working practices outside of a technology department
- Experience of working with cross-functional teams that comprise both tech and business functions
- Coaching and working closely with senior leadership
Bonus points if...
You have experience in lean manufacturing or factory production
- Holidays - 25 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 30 days
- Option to buy additional days of annual leave up to a total of 30 days
- Discounted Gousto boxes - 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes and 25% for your family and friends plus your first box free
- Dr Gousto Healthcare via Babylon Health
- Access to Gousto Academy training courses
- Gym Membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Quarterly team socials and mixed team events
- Coffee/ Tea, fruit and ice cream provided every single day to keep you fresh
- Friday socials - Wine, beer and soft-drinks