Senior Python Software Engineer
Gousto, the recipe box that powers sustainability research are on a mission to fuel family life. Technology, Data Science and AI are at the heart of Gousto. The code we write powers every aspect of our business from the recommendation engine powering our e-commerce experience right down to the genetic algorithms used to efficiently route boxes in our warehouse.
We use the latest technologies to create simple and elegant solutions to complex problems. We’re ‘all in’ on AWS using many of its services. Our platform and continuous delivery pipeline is fully automated using Cloudformation & Ansible, we release code to production multiple times a day and we’re in the process of moving our microservices architecture to containers. We build our services in Python, PHP and Node.js with a significant proportion now delivered via AWS Lambda.
To support this growth, we’re looking for experienced and passionate Senior Python Software Engineers to help us take our technology platform to the next level. As a Senior Python Software Engineer at Gousto, you’ll be working closely with other members of the Engineering team to help shape our architecture, our engineering processes and help to build a massively talented engineering team.
Our ideal candidate will have demonstrated an ability to apply their broad and deep technical skills within a commercial setting and will always be striving to solve real business problems using the most elegant technical solutions. We want someone with a solid understanding of what it takes to design and deliver scalable, distributed, cloud-based systems in a highly available manner.
Most of all you’ll be passionate about making Gousto a success.
Delivering delight to our customers - You’ll be working on one of our cross-functional product teams focusing on giving our customers the best possible experience. Day to day your work will involve shipping new features, experimenting with the best possible approach to a problem, supporting other teams or departments, or doing whatever it takes to help us hit our business goals.
Building a world-class engineering team – We are just at the beginning of our journey and will be looking to significantly invest in engineering talent going forwards. We believe that one of the most important things our senior engineers do is mentor the more junior members of the team. Helping to build a truly great team of engineers will be a hugely important part of what you do.
Continuing to evolve our agile development process – We currently use Scrum, we like it and we believe it aligns with Gousto’s delivery led culture. However, we also understand that great agile processes aren’t written in stone. We’re looking for someone who’s experienced agile practices and brings a small batch, lean approach to working.
Leading our migration to a Microservices architecture – We’re working hard to break our PHP monolith into microservices. We’re making real progress but we still have work to do to get us to our goal. We’re looking for someone who understands how to identify and split out key functionality, and crucially knows what the common pitfalls are, and how to avoid them!
Obsessing over quality & performance – As one of our most senior engineers you should obsess over the quality of what the team delivers. Whether that be the quality and maintainability of our code or making sure we identify and squash every bug out there. We’re also an e-commerce business, we understand that every millisecond counts when it comes to page speed and we want you to help us make our site fly!
Caring for our platform – As an engineer in Gousto you will be expected to care about the platform. This includes the life of the code, from the design, the code quality, the care for your components and potentially being part of a rota to provide weekend support every few months during our daily key processes.
- Broad and deep engineering skills across a number of different languages, primarily Python.
- A proven track record leading technology teams in complex engineering environments. Ideally you'll have experience building software that is used across multiple teams
- Experience of working with, and shaping, distributed systems on a public cloud platform.
- Worked within a DevOps organisation. At Gousto our developers are responsible for the operational health of the services they develop. We believe this fosters a great culture and are looking for someone who knows how to handle those rare but critical production issues.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, whether to the engineering team, to business stakeholders or to our leadership team.
We are hugely committed to equality of opportunity in all areas of Gousto. We employ over 25 nationalities and think it's deeply important to have all genders represented in all functions and levels. All individuals will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation. We know, based on research, that some people are less likely to apply for this role. Please consider the above bullet points as guidance (our perfect candidate may not meet 100% of them) and if you feel you would be suitable for this role then please get in touch.
We don't judge your performance by hours at your desk, but by the impact you have. While our office hours are 9am to 6pm, as long as people attend the morning stand-up for their squads the hours are, to an extent, flexible around this. Flexible working is widely practiced, but we are not a remote company and the majority of the time should be based in our Shepherd's Bush office. Please read our ownership principles to understand more about how we like to work.
- "Tech 10%" - use every other Friday to sharpen your own skills or spend the time working on some side projects that you're passionate about.
- Holidays - 25 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 30 days
- Option to buy additional days of annual leave up to a total of 30 days
- Discounted Gousto boxes - 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes and 25% for your family and friends plus your first box free
- Dr Gousto Healthcare via Babylon Health
- Access to Gousto Academy training courses
- Gym Membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Quarterly team socials and mixed team events
- Coffee/ Tea, fruit and ice cream provided every single day to keep you fresh
- Friday socials - Wine, beer and soft-drinks