Frontend Software Engineer
Gousto tech is at the heart of the company - not your average startup and not your average tech company. Tech maintains our website, apps, customer storefront as well as internal tooling, warehousing and logistics. We also have a data science team in tech that works to personalise the experience our customers get, optimise warehouse routing and more. In the last few years we’ve been voted the best recipe kit company by The Independent, The Guardian, Metro and Time Out and were named Retail Business of the Year by Startups UK.
As a tech team we love AWS (our CTO used to work there so our whole infrastructure embraces it) and use an ever growing bunch of AWS features. We’re moving our platform to a microservice architecture and currently have services built in PHP and node.js as well as a number of AWS Lambda functions in Python. Our frontend has a mix of old PHP Laravel (which we’re removing) and React using cssnext and CSS modules.
You'll work in our team of full-stack engineers and digital product team striving to make high-quality sites and services to give our customers the best possible experience. We love healthy and sustainable food and we love our code to be the same.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Gousto. We do not discriminate.
What we're looking for
- You'll love React and the React ecosystem (we do!)
- You care about performance, optimising our frontend to be fast for our users
- You're mobile first development
- You've love webpack and have experience with CI / deployment processes
- You're a fan of testing - unit and e2e tests are a core part of our development process
- Want to get stuck in with Devops - at Gousto our developers are responsible for the operational health of the services they develop. We believe this fosters a great atmosphere and are looking for someone who knows how to handle those rare but critical production issues.
- Superb communication and presentation skills to everyone in the team no matter how technical they are (or aren't)
- You’re curious
- You enjoy learning and growing in your role
- You get inspired by having your big ideas heard
Your first 6 months
- Get involved in our migration to React - We love react and we're in the process of transitioning our whole frontend over to it. You'll make this happen. Plus you'll help bring us along with the latest updates and the newest technologies.
- Help us learn - You'll be a great developer but you'll also be a great teacher, helping our junior devs become great developers too. We care about personal development in our team and the growth of our engineers.
- Continue to evolve our Agile development process - We use scrum, we have a digital product team, we like to move fast and Gousto is delivery led. We're probably not perfect though - you'll get stuck into how our process works and will help us test changes to get the most out of us.
- Obsessing over quality & performance - This means in everything, the code you write, the test coverage you have, the platform you maintain and the team you have - it all is important! We're an e-commerce business and we appreciate that every millisecond counts, you'll help us make our site fly.
- Building a world class engineering team - Each team owns its own hiring - if you feel you need more backend resource we'll support you in finding it, if you think you need an intern in the summer to work on a cool project born out of a hack day, we'll make that happen. Building a team is important so we want to make sure everyone is involved.
- Tech 10% - every other Friday we work on something cool to help us grow our skills (most recently our soon to be released Alexa skill...)
- Working with a passionate team who love to learn and implement new technologies
- 22 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 25 and the option to buy up to 5 additional days of annual leave
- Coffee, tea and fruit provided every day to keep you fresh
- Wine, beer & soft-drinks provided every Friday evening
- As many new recipes to test cook as you can handle
- 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes (and 25% for friends and family)
- Free gym membership after 6 months
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular all-company socials and quarterly team socials