Head of Software Engineering
Gousto is on a mission to change the way that people cook. We believe home cooking is important, so we’ve made it simple. We take the hassle out of planning, shopping and cooking, by delivering weekly meals with precisely measured ingredients and easy-to-follow recipes, so there’s no more ‘what’s for dinner’ panic.
As one of the most dynamic and fast-growing start-ups in the UK, Gousto currently leads the category offering more choice, more delivery options and lower lead times than any of its competitors. This is really only the beginning though, we have big plans to transform our proposition in 2020 and beyond.The Team
The company is in a period of rapid growth, this is particularly true in the Technology team. Technology will be about 90 people at the end of this year with plans (and funding) to be over 220 by 2022. Technology is a team with a strong culture of continuous improvement, collaborative ways of working and a sense of ownership of the product and platform at all levels.
The entire team at Gousto is enormously driven - We want to win this market. The environment, underpinned by our ownership principles, is highly dynamic, so everyone has measurable impact and can make a real difference.The Role
To support and help shape this growth from an engineering team of ~60 to the ~130 we aim to be in 2022 we are introducing a new role “Head of Software Engineering” reporting to the Engineering Director. This role will be critical to the business, not just by shaping significant growth but by delivering on increased expectations and ambition.
The role will be accountable for the performance of a large Engineering team, initially around 25-30 Engineers and success in the role will mean leading your team in:
- Ensuring Product Teams deliver on ambitious and stretching OKRs
- Shaping our people and platform to support the growth ambitions of Gousto
- Creating an environment that promotes autonomy and accountability.
The role will also be responsible for scaling their Engineering team over the next 2 years to around double in size.
As well as accountability for the performance of the role’s direct team, the Head of Software Engineering role will be expected to contribute across the whole Engineering team in both the day to day and in the Technology strategy. This will require working closely and collaboratively with peers, the Gousto Tech Management Team and across the whole business.
A successful candidate for the role will need to have a strong intellectual curiosity, be able to drive change into a growing and maturing engineering team, and be passionate about all things technology. Constantly driving and searching for continuous improvement/best practice in a lean, asynchronous and distributed environment. Our ideal candidate will have a proven track record in building and scaling successful technology teams. We want someone with excellent technical leadership skills and a solid understanding of what it takes to design and deliver scalable, distributed, cloud based systems in a highly available manner. A key requirement will also be to be a strong relationship builder and communicator at all levels - this role will equally need to influence into an Engineering team and into Gousto’s Management and Leadership teams.
Most importantly we’re keen to shape the role around the successful candidate, their strengths and the experience they need to help shape their career. Gosuto is passionate about bringing out the best in it’s people and this role as a senior leader in the organisation will be one with autonomy and investment.Key Responsibilities
Building a world class engineering team – We are just at the beginning of our journey and will be looking to significantly invest in engineering talent going forwards. Helping to build a truly great team of engineers will be a big part of what you do.
Continuing to evolve our Agile & Lean development process – Our teams have a lot of flexibility in the methodologies they use to deliver. We’re strong believers in creating space and autonomy for team, however we will always be looking to drive key messages and best practices from Agile & Lean.
Leading the development of our next generation e-commerce platform - We’re building a broad and comprehensive platform that will power a modern and complex e-commerce business. We understand that building everything from a CRM, order processing capabilities and courier integrations into a single codebase is a bad idea. We’re committed to an asynchronous, distributed, and de-coupled Microservices architecture and passionate about delivering it properly.
Obsessing over quality & performance – As the head of Engineering you should obsess over the quality of what the team delivers. Whether that be the quality and maintainability of our code, the quality and impact of our features, or making sure we identify and squash every bug out there.
Promoting Gousto Technology in the wider industry – Gousto has a strong technology heart, with the department being a key stakeholder rather than execution engine. We need to do more to promote this across the industry abd become known as a go to technology destination.
About the (ideal) candidate
- Strong software engineering background in scalable distributed applications.
- Experience building, running and leading high performing, autonomous engineering teams in complex environments
- A delivery mindset - We have a lot to do in a short space of time.
- A fundamental understanding of the principles of Agile and Lean development.
- Experience in architecting distributed systems on a public cloud platform. Ideally, you’ll have experience designing a Microservices platform on AWS (even better if you did it without servers!).
- Worked within a DevOps organisation. At Gousto our developers are responsible for the operational health of the services they develop. We believe this fosters a great culture and are looking for someone who knows how to get the best from this.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, whether to the engineering team, to business stakeholders or to our leadership team.
- Experience working in a fast paced, high growth, technology focussed organisation.
- Proven experience of creating a forward-thinking technology culture.
What’s it really like to work here?
- We are customer-centric, data driven and outcome focused, using lean principles to work iteratively, experiment and learn fast.
- We work in cross-functional squads which we are increasingly include business partners. This allows us to work more closely with our colleagues in food, operations and marketing, enabling greater alignment, collaboration and innovation.
- Our squads have a high level of autonomy to decide both what outcomes they should pursue and how they will achieve them.
- We believe in being agile rather than committing to a single framework. We have a set of lean and agile principles which we follow, but beyond that squads are empowered and encouraged to tailor their working processes.
- We discourage pigeon-holing which means our engineers are responsible for designing, writing, testing, deploying and maintaining their code in production. We don’t have QAs, and our architect works closely with squads to consult and collaborate.
- A devops culture is central to our way of working and our squads are responsible for running their solutions in production.
- Pairing and TDD are practices we champion and want to keep improving.
- 10% of our time is dedicated to tech innovation and we hold regular brown bags.
- We are committed to being involved in the wider tech community, hosting meetups, speaking at events and sharing learnings via our blog.
- Holidays - 25 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 30 days
- Option to buy additional days of annual leave up to a total of 30 days
- Discounted Gousto boxes - 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes and 25% for your family and friends plus your first box free
- Dr Gousto Healthcare via Babylon Health
- Access to Gousto Academy training courses
- Gym Membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Quarterly team socials and mixed team events
- Coffee/ Tea, fruit and ice cream provided every single day to keep you fresh
- Friday socials - Wine, beer and soft-drinks
- A “Head-of” programme with peers across the business and investment from CEO, Timo, to drive excellence and a future career path
We are hugely committed to equality of opportunity in all areas of Gousto. We employ over 20 nationalities and think it's deeply important to have both genders represented in all functions and levels. All individuals will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.