Job Title : Commercial Director
Department : Product
Reports to : CPO - Sally Matthews
Gousto is the UK’s leading recipe box company delivering precise ingredients, delicious recipes and a dollop of adventure to thousands of homes across the UK.
As one of Europe’s fastest growing independent companies, you’ll be part of an exciting, expanding team and trailblazing company.
Food and tech is at the heart of what we do. Using industry-leading technology, we’ve connected over 6 million people to delicious food so far. By 2025 we’ll have delivered 400 million delicious meals to dinner tables across the country... and we’re only just getting started.
Join us and let’s dream big and deliver bigger.
As Commercial Director you will sit at the heart of the business and support the buying of Gousto’s amazing ingredients! You will be responsible for negotiating the best commercial agreements with suppliers of our materials that make up our core product, which is delivered to thousands of homes across the UK every day. As well as managing direct spend, you will also be responsible for driving procurement savings in our most significant indirect spend categories.
Managing a team of buyers, you will ensure we are sourcing the best possible materials and services at the best price, working very closely with Food, Technical, Operations, Brand, Data and Finance.
As the business scales rapidly, you will drive strong commercial results by delivering negotiated procurement savings and leveraging increasing volumes. You will be responsible for driving gross margin improvements as well as significant economies of scale in overhead cost lines always weighing up cost, quality and customer experience when deciding what’s best for Gousto.
New product development
We are always developing new recipes and advancing our proposition, which requires a continuous search for the very best suppliers and ingredients. You will work closely with Food & Technical teams to obsess about sourcing perfectly portioned packages of goodness from suppliers who aspire to delivering the highest standards and specifications at the lowest cost.
The buying team sits at the heart of the business and works highly collaboratively with our internal food, technical and operational teams as well as our suppliers. Gousto’s fast pace of innovation as well as our high product standards demand strong collaboration and alignment between teams to bring new recipes and products to market efficiently.
Supplier governance and ingredient quality are central to ensuring the very best value proposition for our customers. The Commercial Director will work closely with our COO and Technical team to ensure strong risk management procedures are in place.
Building a high performance team
Gousto has extraordinary talent and the successful candidate will be expected to attract, lead and develop a growing team that scales with the business.
- Procurement - knowledge & experience of managing food buying teams & an excellent negotiator
- Research - a desire to deeply understand and map supply chains to interrogate cost structures and quality to release value
- Commercial - strong commercial acumen and delivery orientation
- Customer focus - a healthy obsession with quality for the end customer
- Team-playing - excellent collaboration skills supported by strong emotional intelligence
- Organisation - structured communication and planning in a fast-paced environment
- Technical - good working understanding of food safety regulations
- Solution-oriented - a positive and proactive problem-solver excited by stretch goals and the art of the possible
- Holidays - 25 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 30 days
- Option to buy additional days of annual leave up to a total of 30 days
- Discounted Gousto boxes - 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes and 25% for your family and friends plus your first box free
- Dr Gousto Healthcare via Babylon Health
- Access to Gousto Academy training courses
- Gym Membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Quarterly team socials and mixed team events
- Coffee/ Tea, fruit and ice cream provided every single day to keep you fresh
- Friday socials - Wine, beer and soft-drinks
You’re a confident self-starter, able to juggle multiple projects in a dynamic, exciting and entrepreneurial environment. You’re initiative and a problem-solver with an eagle eye for detail. You’ll consistently go the extra mile to apply and achieve a high standard across everything you do.
Dream - Today’s good is tomorrow’s mediocre. We’re always looking for ways to improve Gousto, our team and ourselves.
Deliver - We understand where we can add the most value and obsess about making improvements every day.
Care - We can only achieve big things by working collaboratively. We respect different people’s skills, experience and points of view. We work as one team.
Equal opportunity is hugely important to us, across all areas of Gousto. Currently in our team there are over 20 nationalities and it’s deeply important to us to have all genders represented in all functions and levels. We treat all individuals in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.