Software Engineer, Data Science
Technology, Data Science and AI are at the heart of Gousto. The code we write powers every aspect of our business from the recommendation engine powering our e-commerce experience right down to the genetic algorithms used to efficiently route boxes in our warehouse.
We use the latest technologies to create simple and elegant solutions to complex problems. We’re ‘all in’ on AWS using many of its services. Our platform and continuous delivery pipeline is fully automated using Cloudformation & Ansible, we release code to production multiple times a day and we’re in the process of moving our microservices architecture to containers. We build our service and algorithms in Python, PHP and Node.js with a significant proportion now delivered via AWS Lambda.
Hear Timo our Founder, discussing our AI capabilities at Gousto.
Who you are
A passionate and talented Software Engineer, excited about building and improving a world class Machine Learning (ML) platform to ensure all our ML algorithms touching most parts of the business are getting smoothly deployed in production, performing as expected and keep moving our KPIs.
An ideal candidate has a proven track record in developing code (ideally algorithms), deploying it in production using CI/CD pipeline and has a blend of excellent coding skills and passion for ML, especially with understanding of all the challenges that come with ever-changing data.
Most of all you are excited about what we do at Gousto and really enjoy working with the team!
What you’ll do
- Own and improve our ML platform – we invested heavily in AI to build the leading customer proposition in the market. We are committed to enable our Data Scientists to seamlessly build, deploy, and operate ML algorithms at scale. We’ve massively improved our CI/CD pipeline for our ML algorithms since we built the first algorithm, but you will help us to build the ML platform to standardise the way how we develop, deploy and track our ML algorithms in production.
- Working closely with Data Scientist – although we already have numerous ML algorithms running in production we are still at the beginning of our (AI) journey and will keep investing significantly in AI capabilities going forwards. You will work closely with Data Scientist to ensure all our existing and new algorithms are efficient, fast and production ready.
- Be obsessed over quality – as an ML enthusiast you must have already heard a quote "garbage in, garbage out". To ensure high-quality of our ML algorithms you will write enterprise quality, clean and readable code, and work closely with other team members to ensure training and validation of algorithms is as close as possible to the real world.
- Help to “Raise the Bar” – we strongly believe that continuous improvements lead to great products. We’re looking for an Engineer that can bring new and innovative engineering practices into the team, someone who is willing to help educate and help to improve what we do on a daily basis.
- Strong programming and software design skills (ideally Python) - you should be confident using pure Python, to write anything from a simple script to an application using OOP.
- A proven track record of using CI/CD pipelines - automating development and deployment pipelines for ML algorithms will be your main job.
- Keen to learn new technologies - ML(Ops) is a very young branch of Tech and it is evolving super fast, so following and learning new technologies is crucial to keep up with it.
- Experience with cloud technologies - all our tech lives in AWS.
- Being pragmatic - things can change very quickly in our team, but we stay focused on our goals - you must be comfortable working in such environment.
- Good communication skills - you will be working closely with Data Scientists and Data Engineers discussing very complex topics, thus explaining things in a clear way is very important.
Nice to have
- Working understanding of ML algorithms - you will be working with ML algorithms on a daily basis.
- Experience with containers - we run our ML algorithms as containers in the cloud.
- Experience with scientific libraries for Python - we leverage numerous Python libraries like numpy, pandas, scipy, tensorflow/pytorch etc.
- Working understanding of modern orchestration tools - Airflow is our main task orchestration tool.
- Experience with code profiling and optimisation, ideally Cython.
- Working understanding of ML(Ops) and challenges that come with it - there is a huge demand for a platform in ML community and we want to be part of it.
- Experience with distributed systems.
You’re a confident self-starter, able to juggle multiple projects in a dynamic, exciting and entrepreneurial environment. You like to take initiative and demonstrate a hawk-eyed approach to problem solving. You’ll consistently go the extra mile to apply and achieve a high standard across everything you do.
Dream - Today’s good is tomorrow’s mediocre. We’re always looking for ways to improve Gousto, our team and ourselves.
Deliver - We understand where we can add the most value and obsess about making improvements every day.
Care - We can only achieve big things by working collaboratively. We respect different people’s skills, experience and points of view. We work as one team.
- Holidays - 25 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 30 days
- Option to buy additional days of annual leave up to a total of 30 days
- Discounted Gousto boxes - 40% staff discount on Gousto boxes and 25% for your family and friends plus your first box free
- Dr Gousto Healthcare via Babylon Health
- Access to Gousto Academy training courses
- Gym Membership
- Cycle to work scheme
- Quarterly team socials and mixed team events
- Coffee/ Tea, fruit and ice cream provided every single day to keep you fresh
- Friday socials - Wine, beer and soft-drinks