Data Science Internship
A well-funded independent company, with ambitious plans to expand, Gousto is looking for a Data Science Intern on our Data Science team. There’s never been a better time to be a part of what we're building. If you enjoy working alongside smart thinkers, with extraordinary drive, passion and talent, then apply now!
Gousto, is one of the most dynamic and fast-growing start-ups in the UK. We're a recipe kit company on a mission to help families enjoy good food. We believe home cooking is important, so we’ve made it simple. We take the hassle out of planning, shopping and cooking, by delivering weekly meals with the ingredients and recipes ready to cook, so there’s no more ‘what’s for dinner’ panic.
Gousto has a strong data culture: we believe that data is the voice of our customers and therefore it is an integral part of how we make decisions and innovate. To ensure we live up to this statement, we have a team of highly skilled data scientist, data analysts and data engineers.
Over the last 5 years, we've built up state-of-the-art analytics pipeline, using AWS services (Redshift, Lambda, Kinesis, Hadoop etc.) and open-source projects, e.g. Snowplow Analytics, Airflow etc. The pipeline enables us to collect very granular data about our customers’ behaviour and our business processes.
The data science team's primary mission is to build tools that will improve our business processes and offering to our customers. In pursuit of this mission we tackle a diverse range of problems with a direct impact on the business. Examples include optimising process flows in our fulfilment centre and generating highly personalised recipe recommendations for our customers.
As an intern on the data-science team you will work on a well-scoped project to extend and improve one of our existing data products. This means you will get hands-on experience working with our data platform and developing advanced machine-learning and optimisation techniques.
We have big plans for the future, hence we are looking for creative thinkers with a quantitative mindset to help us drive the business and disrupt the online grocery market. Expect to dive into a complex problem alongside amazing colleagues and help us build the solutions that will have significant impact on the product and our customers.
- The internship duration is 12-24 weeks (duration TBD with candidates)
- This is a paid internship
- This role is only open to Phd Students
- Translating opportunities to improve an existing data product into proof-of-concept code
- Designing and implementing performance metrics to evaluate existing algorithms
- Processing, cleansing and verifying the integrity of data
- Collaborating with Tech team to test and productionise a new and improved data product
- BSc or MSc in Machine Learning, Math, Stats, Computer Science or equivalent
- Comfortable working with and explaining topics in machine learning, optimisation and statistics
- Previous experience working with Python (pandas, sci-kit learn, etc.) or R in an academic or professional setting
- Great communication skills – being able to explain complex model to all types of business partners
- High-energy self-starter with a passion for data, attention to detail, and a positive attitude
Bonus points for
- Experience with writing SQL queries and working with APIs
- Experience in multi-objective optimisation (e.g. using Evolutionary algorithms)
- Experience in Deep Learning (e.g. RNNs, LSTM, GANs)
- Experience in recommendation systems (e.g. Factorisation Machines)
- Experience in deploying machine learning algorithms into production environments (AWS)
- Experience in Bayesian inference
- Working with a passionate team who love to learn and implement new technologies
- 25 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) annually, pro-rated for the duration of the internship
- Coffee, tea and fruit provided every day to keep you fresh
- Wine, beer & soft-drinks provided every Friday evening
- As many new recipes to test cook as you can handle
- "Tech 10%" - use every other Friday to sharpen your own skills and work on your own projects
We are hugely committed to equality of opportunity in all areas of Gousto. We employ over 20 nationalities and think it's deeply important to have both genders represented in all functions and levels. All individuals will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.
Contact us at [email protected]
Read our blog at techbrunch.gousto.co.uk
Follow us on Twitter @GoustoTech