Platform Engineer - Operational Technology
We are not your average start-up. We have grown fast and we will grow even faster. We are full of passion and ambition - if you want to have a massive impact, this is the right place for you. 60% of our management team are former interns. You can change the world here and you will get challenged with lots of responsibility and be rewarded accordingly, cheer-led along your career.
We were voted retail business of the year by Startups UK, best recipe kit company by the Independent, Guardian, Metro and Time Out, and our CEO won young entrepreneur of the year at the Great British Entrepreneur Awards. Our customer care team and our suppliers have been recognised by the industry as premier.
With your help, we want to build an incredible business.
We are a passionate, determined and cohesive engineering team dedicated to delivering high quality software and the best possible experience for our customers. Technology is at the heart of our business – it powers our e-commerce website, our apps, and our order processing platform. We use it to empower our data science team to use machine learning to transform the way we operate our warehouse. It is central to our strategy and pivotal to future growth of the business.
We are looking for talented and passionate engineers to join our Platform Engineering team. You will be working with other Engineers in the platform and web teams to enrich, fine-tune and maintain the underlying infrastructure that powers both our web application stack and our order processing platform.
Our challenges include:
- Augmenting our warehouse management ecosystem in AWS to enable simulation and testing of scenarios without affecting real warehouse data
- Assessing and improving the architecture of our order processing and fulfilment platform to allow us to handle rapidly ever-increasing order volumes
- Designing scalable network architecture to enable expansion into multiple warehouse sites
What are we looking for?
- Enjoy developing software and systems in a fast paced startup environment
- Are not afraid to throw themselves into unfamiliar systems under tight deadlines
- Challenge and improve existing system architecture and processes
- Like to work collaboratively across engineering and business teams
What you'll be doing day-to-day
As an Operations Platform Engineer at Gousto you will be responsible for:
- Working with our Product Owners, Engineering teams, Warehouse Operations team, and CTO to deliver high quality, enterprise-grade software solutions
- Maintaining the Warehouse Management systems and databases
- Integrating our ERP system into a cloud infrastructure
- Maintaining onsite software and networks
- Scaling our warehouse systems and hardware, and implement new technologies to support the company’s rapid growth
- RDBMS knowledge
- Deep understanding of Unix and its command line utilities
- Knowledge of developing and/or deploying systems into a Cloud infrastructure
- Experience with configuration management tools like Chef, Puppet or Ansible (our favourite)
- Experience with a language used to automate infrastructure management (we use Python)
- Experience in building and/or supporting CI and deployment pipelines
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration tools (we use CircleCI)
- Regular travel to our current operations warehouse in Spalding
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience of AWS CloudFormation
- Experience with Oracle DB
- Experience configuring physical and virtual networks
- Experience with maintaining ERP systems
- Understanding of a micro-services architecture
- Working with a passionate team who love to learn and implement new technologies
- 22 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 25
- Option to buy up to 5 additional days of annual leave
- Coffee, tea and fruit provided every day to keep you fresh
- Wine, beer & soft-drinks provided every Friday evening
- As many new recipes to test cook as you can handle
- 50% staff discount on Gousto boxes
- Free gym membership after 6 months
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular all-company socials
- Quarterly team socials
We are hugely committed to equality of opportunity in all areas of Gousto. We employ over 20 nationalities and think it's extremely important to have both genders represented in all functions and levels. All individuals will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.