Senior Software Engineer
We were voted retail business of the year by Startups UK, best recipe kit company by the Independent, Guardian, Metro and Time Out, and our CEO won young entrepreneur of the year at the Great British Entrepreneur Awards. Our customer care team and our suppliers have been recognised by the industry as best-in-class.
With your help, we want to build an incredible business.
At Gousto, we're looking for someone to help us disrupt the online food industry. You will be helping people to discover, buy and cook delicious food at home without the hassle of recipe books and supermarkets, all with no food waste. We’ve grown rapidly since our founding in 2012 and following another large VC investment we’re now scaling from a small development team to a large tech organisation delivering across multiple scrum teams and multiple channels (web, iOS, Android).
To support this growth, we’re looking for an experienced and hugely talented Senior Software Engineer to help us take our technology platform to the next level. As a Senior Software Engineer at Gousto, you’ll be working closely with other senior members of the Engineering team, CTO, and CIO, to help shape our architecture, our engineering processes and help to build a massively talented engineering team.
Our ideal candidate will have demonstrated an ability to apply their broad and deep technical skills within a commercial setting and will always be striving to solve real business problems using the most elegant technical solutions. We want someone with proven technical leadership skills and a solid understanding of what it takes to design and deliver scalable, distributed, cloud based systems in a highly available manner.
Most of all you’ll be passionate about making Gousto a success.
Leading our migration to a Microservices architecture – We’re building a broad and comprehensive platform that will power a modern and complex e-commerce business. We understand that building everything from a CRM, order processing capabilities and courier integrations into a single codebase is a bad idea. We’re committed to a Microservices architecture and passionate about delivering it properly. For example, we’ve been busy building out an asynchronous messaging bus on AWS using SNS and SQS to reduce chained API calls between services, increase performance and reduce the brittleness of our systems.
We’re looking for someone that can help us continue this journey.
Continuing to evolve our Agile development process – We use Scrum, we like it and we believe it aligns with Gousto’s delivery led culture. However, we also understand that our processes aren’t perfect and need to evolve as we grow. We’re looking for someone who’s seen Agile delivered in complex engineering environments across multiple teams.
Help to “Raise the Bar” – We believe that one of the most important things our senior engineers do is educate the more junior members of the team. We’re looking for an Engineer that can bring new and innovative engineering practices into the team, someone who is willing to help educate and help to improve what we do on a daily basis.
Obsessing over quality & performance – As one of our most senior engineers you should obsess over the quality of what the team delivers. Whether that be the quality and maintainability of our code or making sure we identify and squash every bug out there. We’re also an e-commerce business, we understand that every millisecond counts when it comes to page speed and we want you to help us make our site fly!
Building a world class engineering team – We are just at the beginning of our journey and will be looking to significantly invest in engineering talent going forwards. Helping to build a truly great team of engineers will be a hugely important part of what you do.
- Broad and deep engineering skills across a number of different languages, we’re primarily developing on PHP, using both the Laravel and Lumen frameworks so experience in these is hugely advantageous.
- A proven track record leading technology teams in complex engineering environments. Ideally you’ll have had delivery responsibility across multiple teams.
- Experience in architecting distributed systems on a public cloud platform. Ideally you’ll have experience designing a Microservices platform on AWS (even better if you did it without servers!).
- Worked within a Devops organisation. At Gousto our developers are responsible for the operational health of the services they develop. We believe this fosters a great culture and are looking for someone who knows how to handle those rare but critical production issues.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, whether to the engineering team, to business stakeholders or to our leadership team.
- Working with a passionate team who love to learn and implement new technologies
- 22 days of holiday (plus bank holidays) increasing by a day each year up to 25
- Option to buy up to 5 additional days of annual leave
- Coffee, tea and fruit provided every day to keep you fresh
- Wine, beer & soft-drinks provided every Friday evening
- As many new recipes to test cook as you can handle
- 50% staff discount on Gousto boxes
- Free gym membership after 6 months
- Childcare vouchers
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular all-company socials
- Quarterly team socials
We are hugely committed to equality of opportunity in all areas of Gousto. We employ over 20 nationalities and think it's extremely important to have both genders represented in all functions and levels. All individuals will be treated in a fair and equal manner and in accordance with the law regardless of age, disability, gender, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, race, religion or sexual orientation.